Monday, November 11, 2013

Something to think about

Earlier this morning, there was a soft knock on the door.   

On the other side, were two boys and a man - all wearing modest neckties and short sleeves.   They were Jehovah's Witnesses doing "field work."

It was immediately apparent that the adult was allowing the children to take lead in their preaching of "the good news."   In short, here was a man giving boys manly responsibilities as part of the process of building future men.

One would think that, as a Muslim, my beliefs do not agree with those of the Witnesses before me but I believe in men & wonen taking an active role in teaching boys to be men and girls to be women.  

I listened to a nervous child speak to me about why they were there, I smiled at both of the boys as the one who was speaking to me gave a me a pamphlet, and I shook each of their hands as I thanked them for the tract on lilac-coloured paper.  

The boys smiled smiles of relief and growing confidence and the man smiled a smile of gratitude to me.

The whole thing took about 90 seconds but how much longer will the encouragement last for those polite and soft-spoken boys?

We all have opportunities to be good to one another.  Whatever differences we may or may not have between us should never keep us from being good to each other. 


-33-